If you love writing and you have so many things in your mind that you want to share with this world right away, then going online is much more easier than you might think. This tutorial will help you to create your own website with TLD (top level domain) for less than a dollar per year (Yes! its true). So here’s how to do it…
1. Purchasing a Domain Name. First things first, you need to buy a domain name. It is the name of your website that visitors will type in their browser’s address bar to visit your website ( e.g. google.com). Although purchasing a domain name is easy nowadays, you can go to any famous domain registrar such as GoDaddy or Namecheap and buy a .com or .net domain of your choice for 99 cents by applying a coupon code. But by the time you need to renew the domain name you’re going to pay the regular price of above 10 dollars or so. So if you are looking for cheapest domain name that you can buy for multiple years at crazy price then here’s the trick:
- Go to tld-list.com and sort the list by cheapest renewal.
- Then go to alpnames.com and search for the domain name of choice. Select it for 10 years and see if it is offering the best deal for the domain name.
- You can also buy domain name privacy for 99 cents per year. (optional)
- Proceed and purchase your domain name.
2. Pointing Domain Name to Blogger. A website is made up of two things, domain name and hosting. domain name is just a name / address of your website while the hosting is where you websites’s content resides. Hosting also known as web hosting usually costs money. A good web hosting will cost around $40 to $50 per year. But google is providing fast and reliable web hosting through Blogger absolutely free. Linking domain name with blogger is also very easy:
- Go to blogger.com and create a new blog (if you haven’t already).
- Then go to settings from the left hand side, under Publishing section click on the link that says “+ Setup a 3rd party URL for your blog” and type the domain name with www. at the beginning of it. Then click on save button.
- You’ll get an Error 32. And just below it there will be two CNAMEs that you need to enter in the DNS settings of domain name.
- Go to alpnames domain management center. Click on “Manage DNS” under DNS Management section, a window will popup.
- Click on CNAME Records tab, then click on Add CNAME Record, in the Host Name field add the label given by blogger. For value select the second option then copy and paste the destination provided by blogger. And repeat the process for second one.
- You can also add TXT record given by blogger. (optional)
- Refresh the domain management page, scroll down to DNS management, you will see a warning message “Your DNS Management service is not configured correctly”. Click on Configure Now link and then click on the button that says “Fix Name Servers Automatically”.
- DNS will start the process of propagating wich may take 24 to 72 hours, wait for at least 5 hours for DNS Propagation.
- After DNS propagation is completed, go back to your blogger settings, click on “+ Setup a 3rd party URL for your blog” link. Type the domain name with www. at the beginning of it. Then click on save button. And this time the link should be added successfully.
- Finally click on edit link given in front of domain name and check the box to Redirect yourdomain.win to www.yourdomain.win
3. Installing Cloudflare DNS Managment. Using a DNS management tool such as cloudflare comes in handy. Not only does it speeds up you website, saves badwidth and protects from bad traffic, but also makes it very easy to add and manage DNS records. We will use it to solve some of the redirect problems as well as to create and access custom professional email address. Here are the steps to follow:
- Go to cloudflare.com , sign up and add your website then click on Scan DNS Records button.
- Once the scanning is complete, click on Continue button.
- Then you need to add four “A” records. With the type “A” already selected type the name of your blog in the Name field and add the IP address in the IPv4 address field as given below then click on Add Record button. Add all four “A” records one by one and then click on Continue button:
Type Name IPv4 address
A yourdomain.win 220.127.116.11
A yourdomain.win 18.104.22.168
A yourdomain.win 22.214.171.124
A yourdomain.win 126.96.36.199
- For cloudflare plan select Free Website option and click on Continue button.
- Then you need to replace the name servers of your domain name with the ones given by cloudflare. Go back to domain management page and click on the Name Servers link. Replace the name servers as directed by cloudflare. Then go back to cloudflare and again click on Continue.
- The status will appear as “Pending” which will change to “Active” upon DNS propagation. Wait for couple of hours and refresh the page to see the status update.
4. Creating Custom Email Address. You can also create a custom email address for you domain:
5. Giving Professional Look to Your Website. Having a great responsive design is a must for your website. Don’t worry you don’t need to know CSS or graphic designing. There are tons of websites from where you can get a professional looking template/theme for your website for free. Here’s how to get one:
- Go to soratemplates.com and find a template that best suits your website. Then download its free version.
- Then go back to Blogger and click on template/theme option from left hand side and then click on Backup/Restore button from the top right corner.
- Click on Download theme button to save a backup. (in case if anything goes wrong)
- Then click on Choose File button and locate the template file you’ve downloaded. Extract the .zip file and select the .xml file given in archive, and click on Upload button.
- Then click on the gear button given below the Mobile preview, and select the option that says “No. Show desktop theme on mobile devices.”, and click on Save button.
- After that follow the template/theme documentations given inside .zip file for the remaining settings.
And that’s it. Your website is completely ready for adding and publishing your content.
Latest posts by Tabish Ishaq (see all)
- How to Create A Complete WordPress Website Absolutely Free - April 18, 2017
- How to Setup Free Email Forwarder in cPanel or Domain Management - April 11, 2017
- Building A Website with TLD for Less Than $1 Per Year - March 31, 2017